Sunday, July 22, 2012

Home visits and Braxton Hicks

I am really not too good at this whole keeping updated on the blog... I guess it's time to try to fix that. We are in the home stretch and my little man can make his appearance at any time...nervous? A little; Excited? Absolutely; Prepared? NO!

We have been struggling to figure out a good arrangement for all of our things in the house, as we have a small house, and too many things going on. Previously, our 2nd bedroom had been my art studio and office... then it morphed into the "nurfice" but it's really hard to keep things organized when my normal crafting space has been taken over by diapers, toys and infant clothing. To add to the shuffle, the desktop computer we have is heating up the room beyond safety and comfort, so we need to find it a new home in the house.

Beyond the tragedies of a )slightly) OCD mother to be nesting like crazy, I have been working my way through the early stages of labor. I never realized how unsure I'd be of the difference between Braxton Hicks (practice contractions, that move the baby into position, and start opening the cervix) and real contractions. Since  Connor can make his way into the world at any time, I have been carrying around a notebook, and recording what time each contraction is, and trying to figure out if it's real or not. It's driving me nuts!

Medical update: As of July 18, 2012, I was 1 cm dilated, and 80% effaced...getting close! And Connor is favoring my right side for all his kicks!

To distract me, and help me along in this new adventure as a first time mom, we were accepted into a great local program called Healthy Families of the High Desert. They are a group of ladies that come around to visit with first time families, and help them find a routine, set goals for milestones, and help teach the baby the things he needs to reach those milestones. They spend and hour or so with the families each week for the 1st 6 months, and then break it down to every 2 weeks for a few months and every month for the next few months, until you feel comfortable with everything. They provide companionship, and an ear to speak to, and they bring you little things for your baby, and for you. They help with paperwork, and such relating to the baby and their health, including insurance applications, medical forms, living assistance files, etc.

Our home visit representative is named Candi, she has a couple kids of her own, and is bright and cheery! (She also adores my crocheted hedgehogs!) We have another doctors appt, and another home visit with Candi on the 27th of this month. I am looking forward to it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment